Thursday, July 3, 2008

Unknown CA Error: Fix

Globus was recently reinstalled on the Ubuntu node. Instead of installing the certificates in the /etc/grid-security directory, I choose to use the non-root install and install the certificates in the $GLOBUS_LOCATION/etc directory.

I received the following error in the $GLOBUS_LOCATION/var/container.log file when I tried to start the Globus container:

Remote exception was ;nested exception is: org.globus.common.ChainedIOException: Authentication failed [Caused by:Failure unspecified at GSS-API level [Caused by: Unknown CA]]

I knew the certificates were good, but it seemed like Globus was unable to locate the installed certificates. After researching the issue, I came across Globus Bug# 4303.
Link: http://bugzilla.globus.org/globus/show_bug.cgi?format=multiple&id=4303

Based on the information in the Bug Report, I discovered that Globus was looking for the certificates in the default, /etc/grid-security/certificates directory. To correct the problem I created two symbolic links. The first was a link from $GLOBUS_LOCATION/etc to /etc/grid-security. The second was a link from $GLOBUS_LOCATION/etc/certificates to $GLOBUS_LOCATION/TRUSTED_CA.

After creating the links, the Globus container started up.

No comments: