Monday, April 20, 2009

Service Philosphy

Last week I worked on merging the service and the core functionality of AMDS. The bulk of that effort was spent trying to get the GDTE tool to call the specific JaxBElements as specified by the AMDS XSD. At one point I thought I had this licked but after some initial testing I realized that there was some additional issues that would take even longer to resolve. So for now, I shelved trying to get the service to work in that fashion and just created manual marshal and unmarshal routines that would get the job done. I guess for the programmer that likes to just look at an interface and begin extending through raw guts, intuition and instinct, it forces them to read the README file before moving forward. I can talk about those type of programmers because I am guilty of the same. :-)

The entire code check in process took place over the weekend. I wanted to wrap my head around a directory structure for services going forward so that it can be easy for someone who wants to download the code and build. So through my thinking I came up with the idea that a service should have the following directory structure:

+--ServiceProjectName:
  • +--Service
  • +--Common
  • +--Client
  • +--lib
  • --build.xml
  • --README.txt
  • --POM.xml

This structure follows my philosophy for grid service development which follows:

A grid service should have 3 components:
  1. The core or common components - these components do all of the work for the service from making database calls, structuring inputs and outputs, etc.
  2. Service Implementation -Since there are a couple of techniques for creating Globus services its interface should be implemented from the core components making the service implementation very thin. I have based my service implementation on GDTE which is a more generic service implementation than Introduce. However, if someone wanted to implement a service using Introduce then the common components are preserved in such a way that this is very easily done. Additionally, configuration file location and environment variables are accessible in locations as prescribed by the GTK4 development manuals.
  3. Client Implementation - the client implementation is based on the service implementation. In my TODO list I am going to try and make this more generic and base the client off of the WSDL GDTE tool generates a client stub, I will use it as a base. I will transform it into something generic later.

Included in my service is a GUI for the service configuration. A snap shot is below:


The AMDS configuration is fairly complex and since this service will be moving to production, I wanted to make it as easy as possible to administer from a UI as oppose to just having a configuration file. From the UI it is easily seen that its design is intended to manage a suite of AMDS services at one node. This taps into my ideas about the service ecosystem: The service should be easy to extend/develop, to deploy/undeploy, management/configure, and include a default usable client. The intended audience for this targeted functionality is not just for developers but also for the non-technical person when using the service. These specific ideas follow the IPhone App-Store Model of application development, a topic to go into detail later.

Lastly, here are my TODOs for this week:
  • Complete the generic configuration of the AMDS service.
  • Build the default client to be used with the AMDS Service
  • Begin to think about multi-node access for the client (The client should be able to aggregate multiple node endpoints running the AMDS service)
  • Upload the updated service and remaining artifacts to source control, with a base level instruction set.
More to come...

No comments: