Monday, April 7, 2008

OGSA-DAI 3.0 is alive, now to make it dance.

With the help of the wonderful people at U of Edinburgh, I got the SQLClient that had been written to successfully poke a database using the OGSA-DAI tools.

I have since spend the rest of the day getting another grid node set up locally so that I could start pursuing clients that access databases on other grid nodes. The "Hello World" of this app would be the ability to enter a query and have the results of two different grid nodes data resources concatenated (or processed in some other way that otherwise merges them) and returned.

I feel that the Killer App version that would result from such studies would be something similar to globus-url-copy: A command line tool (or web page, or java program) that would take a query, a series of nodes, and then run the queries on the data resources of those given nodes.

Right now I am in that phase where I have seen several possibilities but not gauged the limitations... and I am not quite sure what all the commands are or what they do or how far they can span. I am also not quite sure how GlobUS fits into the OGSA-DAI toolkit and what would be the best strategy for minimizing the amount of work that would need to be done by a grid-node installer to get a medical centers information as accessible, yet secure, as possible.

No comments: